Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Feast

It has been three years since I last laid eyes on my father. Three years that have vanished so swiftly. Three different domiciles I have dwelled in; three different lives in which I've witnessed a half a dozen weddings, twice as many heartaches, thrice as many holidays and six times as many celebrations. Three years.

Word of my father's coming presence to my province, was made known to me, as was his arrival, alongside his desire to see me whilst here, through my mother. With my aunt, his youngest sibling, I spoke, as the sun past its zenith, and a call was issued to all of House Umali residing within the demesne; swiftly did word travel.

Much surprised, was I, as I arrived, a mere three hours later, four of eight of my father's siblings were there; my uncle, second eldest, whom I have not seen since several, five mayhap, birth anniversaries past; also in attendance, assorted aunts all of whom extended me regards of the highest affection; the eldest of my cousins; as well as a wave of blithesome children--cousins, nieces and nephews, all of whom are far too clever and extraordinarily talented for their appearance; a belladonna of seven years who has proclaimed whence adulthood should strike she is to be an artiste (an un-married one at that;) a champion wordsmith whose lexicon has more depth than most adults posses; a preeminent fencer and student of the disciplines of the Eastern defensive arts; and a rising athlete who is on the cusp of international notoriety. Quite apparent, it has become, that the scions of House Umali continue to perpetuate our lineage with much distinction. Praise be to our Lord. Amen.

In a great hall, two tables, round, lay heavy, laden with the bountiful yield of the Earth; fish, fowl and beast--all were abundant, whether stewing in simple, yet flavorful sauces, fried to a golden crisp, or heavily showcasing exotic spices of the East, the aromas from the kitchen incessantly goaded our appetites as seemingly endless course after gratifying course was presented.

Wine flowed freely as did stories of glories past and present. Three years worth, and more. Glasses were raised, toasts were offered and songs were sung on this, our rather impromptu, joyous occasion. With a nod toward the generous genetics of our bloodline and gleaming pride in our House's progeny, we concluded our feast with familial bonds rekindled, advantageous alliances renewed and a fortune cookie that foretold: "You will have good luck and overcome many hardships."

Long live House Umali. Praise be to our Lord. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment