Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fruit never falls far from the tree, especially Siamese fruit.

Recently I took a day trip up to Vancouver, British Columbia, with my mother's eldest sister, to visit one of her best friends that she has known for over 30 years. The two met while attending the University of Washington, my aunt needed an extra quarter for bus fare and asked a fellow student in the copy center if she could help her out, which she did. The next day after paying her back, my aunt inquired where her classmate was from, noting that the generous girl had a distinct name that resonated with my aunt.

"I'm from Thailand," her new friend answered.

"What?! Me too!" My aunt exclaimed.

They have been best of friends ever since. My aunt's friend ended up emigrating to Canada after graduating from the UW and marrying a Japanese man, together they run a very successful sushi restaurant and catering company. Most recently they were commissioned to provide sushi and assorted Japanese culinary delights for the Canadian glitterati and athletes during the 2010 Winter Olympics. Often, they also do catering for locally touring musicians and entertainers.

My aunt and I took the train up to Vancouver, her first time ever on the US railways. Upon checking in we discovered there was a snafu with our booking and we were scheduled to board the train to Vancouver, Washington and not BC. My anxiety subsided with the arrival of my aunt, late, causing us to miss the Southbound train, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise; we still had time to catch the correct Northbound train. When dealing with the ticketing agent, my aunt, being in a near-panicked state, flustered and having a tendency towards hot-headed-ness (much like my grandmother, her mother,) was not the most pleasant person to deal with. Things got to a point where the profusely sweating ticketing agent had to excuse himself and leave the counter before continuing to assist us. When he returned, I maintained an air of calm and did my best to assuage both parties and was relieved when my aunt was refunded for the mis-booked Vancouver, Washington tickets and the rest of our itinerary became sorted out.
We had about an hour and a half until the Northbound train departed and decided to get something to eat in nearby Chinatown. I was wary of us straying too far and not making it back in time to make our train, so I opted for the closest place with the most options, the food court in Uwajimaya Village, it sufficed and we made it back to the train station with leftovers for the ride up and a quarter of an hour to spare.

During the four hour ride, my aunt and I were able to do quite a lot of catching up. It had been years since we've last spent such a significant time together. She told me stories of her childhood and hardships endured in the Third World, her impetus for becoming educated and successful here in the United States. She confided in me in her reasons in selecting her husband and why she endured so long in a marriage overlaid with seemingly endless obstacles and intricate challenges. It's quite something to relate with one's elder relatives on a peer level, it adds a whole new dimension to the dynamic of the relationship. Apparently I'm an adult now.

From my aunt's stories I gleaned a clearer reflection of myself. My aunt also shared with me moments of her childhood, which help me see how her heart has been shaped to resemble the form it now possesses. She told me tales of her hopeful youth, of yearning to be successful with her exacting marriage while simultaneously running a strenuous business. She spoke of heart-breaking experiences and wounded pride; a pride I too posses. Coming from the Land of Smiles, we Thai may be quick to reconcile and forgive, but we have memories as long as elephants, (perhaps that is why the elephant served as the crest of our ancient Ayutthaya Kingdom,) we seldom forget when we've been wronged.

It has been said by many we are a people of beautiful stock, have a penchant for aesthetics, are also known as loving and gracious to a fault, and renowned throughout the world for our hospitality--I suspect that is exactly why it is unfathomable to our prideful egos whenever we are shown discourtesy or disrespect; seeking not revenge, we yearn for justice and accountability.
The hours I spent with my aunt I saw in her my grandmother, my mother and myself. Strong-willed spirits who endure and endure and endure. We love easily and fiercely, and are adored by many. We rejoice in the blessings of life, both simple and grand, when abundant, and cunningly persevere when our path becomes littered with hardships. And when wounded, we are not quick to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment