Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Is it Hot in Here, or is it Just Me?

"Take your pleasure seriously." -Charles Eames
A good credo to live by and one they take to heart at my absolute favorite bar in the city, Vessel. As my birthday season came to a close, last Saturday, I celebrated with a grand finale, A Midsummer's Night Heat, at Vessel, one of the sleekest bars in the city. Recently, Vessel was ranked as one of the "100 Top Bars in the World," in Food & Wine, and in 2008 featured as one of the "Best Bars in America," in Esquire. Some find the stark, white walls, transparent Kartell Ghost chairs, leaden gray floors and chartreuse-green glass staircase a bit too cool, uninviting and pretentious; I, myself, simply think of Vessel as an extension of my living room (and the dark and sexy Rob Roy, my basement.) 

At first glance, the bartenders at Vessel are all handsome (surprise, surprise,) suave (in a nonchalant way) and collected, (need I add cool to the list?) As I've gotten to know the dashing boys over the years I have also found them in addition to being straightforward, actually very genuine, personable and warm-hearted. The charming, svelte, female cocktail servers are all also very easy-on-the-eyes, ever composed and just as attentive, clicking throughout the night in their high heels and little, form-fitting black dresses.

I arrived a tad bit early and the bar was empty, save for the staff who were passing time playing with their smartphones. After my supple, custom cocktail was crafted, (thanks KL,) I decided to prop myself on one of the stools in the window facing Fifth Avenue and almost immediately the paparazzi began snapping away. Perhaps it was the outfit? A brand new pair of dark slim fitting denim jeans (Club Monaco,) cream-colored sleeveless tee featuring an abstract floral outline in fuchsia (Benetton,) brown wool vest (vintage) and newly polished black, knee-high leather boots (Nordstrom Rack;) for accessories I wore a black leather belt (Gap,) a black, leather, tassel belt that I wore as a layered necklace (also Gap,) a wool driving cap (TJ Max,) and a trio of pheasant and ostrich feathers.

While waiting for my guests to arrive, I sat, still and poised, as groups of tourists snapped away to their hearts' content, marveling whenever I would shift positions or sip on my sumptuous cocktail. My first pair of guests finally did show as 9 o'clock rolled around, a dear pair of friends engaged to be married next February. They joined me in the narrow window and we reminisced of a drunken night in years past in the very same seats. Shortly after, a newly acquainted friend and her darling husband, whom I had admired from afar at a previous at Vessel, arrived and we migrated to the bar proper.
Everyone that showed that evening, nearly twenty of us in total, put forth effort in their party attire, which I very much appreciated. Fitted and flattering cuts of cloth, flashes of skin and decadent accessories. I must say, we made quite the collection of chic urbanites: A doctor was in the house, as well as an architect, an engineer, a graphic designer, a fashionista, a venture capitalist, an accountant, a mathematician, several educators, a fencing instructor, a chef, a social health policy professional, and a trio of aspiring models.

Life is too short not celebrate every occasion that comes our way, and there are many, though a number go unnoticed, but one of the main reasons why I enjoy hosting parties so much is to have a hand in creating an opportunity to for like-hearted people to meet one another. As always, at my parties, well-suitable connections were made amongst my guests, which invariably fills me with a deep-rooted sense of pride. I always get a thrill of pairing people up, whether it be romantically, professionally, or otherwise. I like to think of it as playing the part of a socialite wife, or even, an urban geisha: "Dear, have you met so-and-so, they are in such-and-such field, quite similar to your line of profession." "Darling, I'd like to introduce you to so-and-so, they belong to such-and-such organization and are looking for x,y and z."

A smartly furnished room filled with lovely, well-intentioned, good-looking people all imbibing on top notch cocktails makes for the perfect combination for a memorable and enjoyable evening. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate the end of my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment